Nerd Fitness Thread!

Serrene

Hey legends, seems a bunch of us are hitting the gym with regularity these days so I'd love to get a discussion going on what we're all doing to get/stay in shape and what our goals are. For me, I've had a number of injuries over the years - including blowing out both knees, numerous back problems, shoulder problems, hamstring pulls, pretty much everything. Following some serious rehab, I've finally been able to overcome these and start gradually getting back into the fitness game. After spending my college years slinging boxes in a UPS warehouse and playing racquetball for 12-15 hours a week, I miss being the lean mean machine that I used to be.

I think a lot of us (especially the 30+ crowd) can agree that for as much time as we all spend at our computers, fitness is especially important to allow us to maintain our gaming habits (and work habits for that matter, for us IT folks) without doing serious damage to our bodies. This includes eating healthy! So let's share some meals and workout plans to inspire and help out our fellow guildies and show off that true nerd power.

I'm still in the process of reminding my body that physical fitness is a thing, so I'm focusing primarily on diet and light lifting with some moderate cardio to ease back into things without any old injuries flaring up. Today's workout primarily consisted of swinging a kettlebell around plus a few minutes of planks, since that's about all I can handle for now.

Dietarily, I wanted to share a few things that have been working well for me:

@Marcus super patented Protection Warrior Protein shake recipe (with some slight variations on the original):

8-10 ounces of coconut milk
1 scoop of chocolate whey protein powder (~30g of protein)
2 tbsp of raw peanut butter (the no-added-sugar kind)
1/2 banana

Mix in blender and feel the power. About 10 minutes after drinking this I feel a surge of energy that's like OOOOOOOH YEAH COME ON GUYS LET'S START CHUCKING CARS INTO SPACE (seriously, god help you if you drink coffee in the morning on top of this). The original recipe from @Marcus I believe called for skim milk and freezing the banana for a more smoothie-like consistency, which works just as well. I went for a slightly more low-cal approach and a thinner drink. This thing also makes a great meal replacement if you're like me and have a bunch of weight to lose.

Coming soon, some easy bachelor-friendly recipes including some secrets to ingest more vegetables without realizing you're eating them.

I went from 280lbs to 209lbs two years ago. I'm now at about 230lbs and am gonna hit it again in two weeks (after my vacation). This thread could be a huge motivation for people who want to get into shape. I'll throw recipes out for people to try meal plans etc.

Serrene

Here's a pre-podcast snack for y'all:
  1. Take two slices of turkey, lay them down flat on top of each other for structural integrity purposes.
  2. Spread a small handful of raw spinach and kale leaves over the turkey.
  3. Sprinkle some shredded cheese over the greens.
  4. Fold the whole thing into a wrap and eat it like the ghetto burrito that it is.
Takes about 30 seconds, no cooking required. And if you can't stand the taste of bitter leafy greens (no one will blame you) a good sharp cheddar hides it well and combines great with the turkey. The greens add a nice texture without making it taste like you're biting into a big chunk of bitter grossness.

(See, I told you it was bachelor-friendly.)

Andrastie

I'm all about fitness.....fit'ness whole pizza in mah mouth!

Actually, I do long distance running. Keeps the heart strong, which is an issue in my family. Also good for getting that blood pumping in the legs, since setting for long periods of time can cause blood clots in your legs.

I'll try not to get all preachy, but getting up and jogging to the bath room or when you go get a drink from the kitchen, even for a 30 seconds, every hour can help.

To get to the topic, protein shakes and all that stuff is nice, which I do drink after runs....but nothing beats drinking lots of water. As a gamer who used to drink loads of pop while in front of the computer, switching to water was an easy 10 pounds gone.

As for motivation, start small and work your way up. I'll use pop as an example, since I'm sure we have all drank large amounts of it over the years. Don't go from a 24 pack a week to nothing, slowing ween yourself off of it. Once you get used to drinking it a couple times a week, then cut it off. Be sure to reward yourself every once in a while, knowing that you haven't had a pop in a couple weeks, then you reward yourself a SINGLE can not only gives your something to look forward to, but also makes that can of pop taste oh so much better! Also, don't call things a "diet" go with an "eating plan." It seems like a weird thing since they both mean the same , but it's been proven to help.

Serrene

@Andrastie How long and frequent are your runs? I used to run quite a bit before the knee trouble, but now I'm working on refining my stride technique to smooth it out and let my actual leg muscles do the work. I was doing 2-3 miles a day a few years ago.

Water is such an easy thing to overlook. I'm trying to work up to about a gallon a day; I have a 32oz water bottle that I just always have next to me throughout the day, and try to get in 3-4 refills over the course of the day. Easier than it sounds.

I actually used to drink about a 12-pack of Mountain Dew a day, sometimes more. Wasn't uncommon for me to go through an entire two-liter bottle in a single day, and head right back to the store. It was REALLY bad. Now I'm down to a Coke Zero or two a week, and I feel way better in general. Eventually I'll cut that back even more.

Food to me has to feel more like a lifestyle change than a "diet", which always sounds like just a temporary influx of extreme suffering that everyone knows won't accomplish much and will be abandoned quickly. Making a conscious decision to eat healthier has actually served me well not just health-wise, but now I'm actually learning to cook and finding new recipes to try. As it turns out, healthy food can be ridiculously tasty when you actually know how to prepare it, and cooking is actually fun and a little cathartic. Make that an essential lifestyle choice, and "diets" don't even exist, because they don't need to.

I've also never liked the power-lifting mantra of "food is nothing but fuel". Not because it's wrong, but because it sounds like efficiency is the only thing that matters. I have a massive love affair with food, and that's never going to change. The real trick is finding food that tastes good, and is also in line with how you want to live your life; in our case, we want to be healthy, so we find healthy food that we look forward to eating. Turkey wraps are a great example.

I like this idea.

My personal fitness "plan" in the past was to go rock climbing as much as possible,well specifically bouldering.

But as of late I haven't really gone at all, so I'm gonna try it out again.

On a side note though, I work graveyard shifts so I pretty much eat like shit, any tips ?

Thanks.

Marcus

Guild Master
Marcus' Patented Warrior Diet:

This was my diet when I was fighting. I was training to have energy, gain a little muscle, and lose weight before fight night.

Breakfast:
4 Egg whites with 1 full Egg (5 Eggs total).
Scramble and eat with your favorite salsa or spicy sauce.
1/2 Cup Greek Yogurt
Coffee

OR

Oatmeal with fresh fruit

Depending upon your workout schedule, Lunch and Dinner may be switched.

Lunch
Light Protein (Chicken/Tuna/Fish)
Steamed mixed vegatables
1/2 Baked Sweet Potato

Dinner
My patented Protein Shake
8 oz skim milk or unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
2 Frozen Bananas
2 Tablespoons Peanut Butter
1-2 Scoops Protein Power

This shake is meant to be taken after your workout and server as a meal replacement. If you work out in the morning/afternoon, it's lunch. If you workout in the evening, it's dinner.

The Bananas will spike your insulin and give your muscles potassium (to prevent cramps and help rebuild muscle).

Cheat Meal:
Even though it's a cheat meal, avoid ALL Sodas (including diets), they will damage your liver and force fat into your body.

Marcus

Guild Master
Exercise Tips:

If you're not working out 4-5 times a week, you will not see results. A good diet can help you lose weight on its own, but you won't feel better.

Mix up cardio days and weighlifting days.

On my cardio days, I run 3-5 miles 2-3 times per week.

My weightlifting days are simple:
20 minutes elliptical machine
30 Dips (I use the dip machine)
30 Pullups (I use lat pulldown machine)
Work out muscle group of the day.

Doing the pullups and dips every day helps because it exercises every muscle group and builds overall strength. If you're starting to get back into weightlifting, avoid focused exercises like preacher curls. Do multi-muscle group exercises like Hammer curls, lateral raises, power cleans, and dead lifts.

DON'T FORGET LEG DAY! Leg day is SOOOO important and despised. Your leg muscles are HUGE. If you give them a good workout, they'll turn fat into sugar and burn it when rebuilding.

Serrene

On a side note though, I work graveyard shifts so I pretty much eat like shit, any tips ?
Do you have access to a fridge and/or a microwave at work? Or at the very least somewhere to keep a lunchbox? Usually the way to go for situations like this is to cook a bunch in advance and make good use of tupperware containers to hold your leftovers. Crockpots are your best friend for this, because you can make a week's worth of food for almost no effort just by letting it sit there for a few hours. You could leave the crockpot going on a Sunday morning and prepare some other things at the same time to keep some variety throughout the week. Shredded meats and vegetables cooked in broth are great.

Serrene

Here's another simple recipe that can be made pretty quickly (@NotYerPalGuy this might be a good one for you):
  1. Dice up one grilled chicken breast (I use a Cuisinart Griddler because contact grills are super handy, a Foreman will do the trick also)
  2. Chop up some broccoli
  3. Steam broccoli on the stove or in the microwave
  4. Add the chicken and broccoli into a microwaveable container, warm it up until the chicken is hot if it wasn't already (I usually cook several chicken breasts at once and keep them in the fridge for future use)
  5. Sprinkle shredded cheese over the top
  6. Microwave until cheese melts
  7. Add salt to taste
Amounts can very depending how hungry you are. I do all this in a regular tupperware container, but it works even better as a stir fry for slightly more effort and you want other veggies in there (cauliflower, carrots, etc). Makes a quick easy meal and can be stored in a lunchbox with an ice pack until time to heat it up for lunch.

If you want to do this for multiple servings, it's an easy casserole. Same general principle but baked in a casserole dish in the oven, scaling up the ingredient amounts to fill the dish.

I'm really trying to push myself into getting into shape this summer. I'm unfortunately the biggest I've ever been. I've always had a weight fluctuation issue; meaning I can go from pretty big to small in a short period of time, and then blimp up just as fast. I'm not very self-disciplined when it comes to pushing myself to get a gym membership. I cracked my tibia in my left leg twice in 2013 and never went to physical rehab like my doctor suggested, thus it never healed properly.. which makes running not my greatest friend. I was wondering what you guys would suggest as far as a meal plan for somebody who doesn't like his vegetables. Primarily, I am disgusted by broccoli and cauliflower and peas... well, mostly steamed vegetables in general. I love carrots, but not cooked carrots. I feel like I'm rambling here now, but hoping maybe somebody here could give me a little guidance as far as a meal-plan and workout routine that would work for me so that I could lose the weight and keep it off. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

heres a simple one shekoda its what i do......eat ....eat everything...eat anything. Just make sure you work out and work hard.. as long as youre in a caloric defecit you will lose weight/gain muscle. Starting by replacing one meal ...i.e vreakfast or early lunch with a protein shake. At least half of your body weight in grams of protein per day.

Serrene

Just came up with a super simple easy salad recipe:

1. Dice up grilled chicken breast, cooled in fridge
2. Put in small tupperware container
3. Add raw spinach/kale/other greens, roughly same volume as the chicken
4. Sprinkle shredded cheddar on top
5. Drizzle small amount of ranch dressing over the top (not too much or it defeats the purpose of the salad)
6. Put lid on the container and shake the whole thing until the dressing coats everything evenly
7. Marvel at the fact that you just enjoyed a salad

Interesting trick to preparing meat - put the raw chicken breast in the freezer for about 20 minutes so it firms up a bit, making it way easier to slice with a regular knife. Then you can throw the pieces into a skillet and cook the chicken in its own fat. Works well for dicing sausage too.

Serrene

I tried a new morning routine today and I think if I can make this a habit it's going to be huge.

8:15 - Wake up, stretch, curse being up at this ungodly hour
8:45 - Go to the pool, nut up because it's not THAT cold, splash around and pretend I'm Michael Phelps, chuckle at the fact that I'm actually going to be sore tomorrow from swimming
9:30 - Head back to the room, rinse off in the shower
9:45 - Protection Warrior Protein Shake, take fish oil and glucosamine supplement
9:50 - Start brewing coffee (Colombian black with a teaspoon of honey, no sugar or cream)
9:53 - Consume coffee
10:10 - Start chucking cars into orbit with all the excess energy
10:15 - Write post, go to work

Here's to endless productivity!

Serrene

I use the term "wake" very loosely, most of that time was spent cursing and vowing to never put myself through this nightmare of consciousness again. (It got better, though.)