Legion Tips and Tricks

Phailure

Council Member
Sup Guildies,

Over the last month I have spent a considerable amount of time playing my DK on beta. I've gone through the process of leveling him and getting him most of the way prepared for raids. I thought I would share some tips and other random tidbits of information I've picked up during this experience. Most of the below is written through the lens of what is most efficient. Fun should come first, but I think some of the below tips will be useful in choosing what activities to do.

I will add more items to this list as I learn/remember them. Feedback is always appreciated.

Leveling
  • Know what path you want to take with your artifact before you start leveling. Respecing your artifact cost artifact power, something you don’t want to waste. If you do make a mistake be sure to fix it before you learn your 13th trait, it gets a lot more expensive after that.
  • Start your class order campaign ASAP after completing your artifact quest. Your class order campaign will become time gated on order hall missions after completing the first initial quests. You want to get those missions in progress as soon as possible in order to unlock your artifact’s third relic slot.
  • Tagging is the name of the game while questing. For those that don't know, in Legion up to 5 players of the same faction can tag any mob out in the world. This means if you are in a quest area and see an alliance player killing a mob you need you should hit it and move on. The other player will kill the mob and you will get full credit. Be mindful to go back and loot if the quest is asking you to gather an item.
  • Like in WOD there are treasures all over the place in the Broken Isles. When questing you should have an add-on like handy notes installed so that these appear on your minimap. Most treasures drop either artifact power or order hall resources (maybe both?).
  • Unlike in WOD the treasures do not grant XP /sadface. This means you should be mindful about how much time you spend getting to a treasure. If you are practically walking over top of a treasure as you quest then go pick it up. However do not spend several minutes trying to figure out how to go around a large cliff or do a jumping puzzle. While in the early going that 50 artifact power might seem like a nice reward worth getting. The reality is that at max level you can acquire artifact power at a much faster rate. The quickest way to advance your artifact is to get to 110 ASAP. Time spent trying to level your artifact below 110 is going to slow your progress down in the long run.
  • Healers, do not be afraid to level as a DPS (or tank) spec. The vast majority of artifact power is reward via a usable item. You can simply hoard these until you acquire your second artifact at 102. There are some quests and NPC interactions that award AP to the currently equipped weapon. Don't sweat it if you end up picking up several thousand AP on your offspec weapon because at max level that amount will quickly become trivial.
  • Leveling as a tank spec is a good choice. Rounding up 10 mobs and waiting for a passing DPS to help kill them will be the fastest way to level when zones are well populated (and probably when they aren't as well).
  • It will take approximately 14-18 hours played for most people to reach max level. (Not accounting for server stability and zone congestion).

Once you reach 110/ preparing for raiding

• When you ding 110 you will likely be pretty far into the fourth zone. Before you move on to level cap stuff finish the quest line off in the zone you are in for a good artifact power reward.
  • Once hitting max level try to make sure that you go to your order hall and begin researching artifact knowledge before you log off for the day. Artifact Knowledge increases the rate at which you acquire artifact power. The sooner you learn it the better. At the start of the expansion you will be able to research one artifact knowledge paper per week. Be sure to stay on top of this.
  • Prioritize your class order hall campaign over all other content. Unlocking the third relic slot is a big ilvl boost. This will help open up heroics and mythics sooner.
  • World quests as the most time efficient way to gear up initially at 110. You should check your map regularly for quests that reward an item you can use. For 5-15 minutes of effort you could end up with a pretty nice upgrade.
  • As your ilvl increases so will the ilvl of the rewards from World Quests.
  • Even if a World Quest reward item is equal or slightly lower (5-10) ilvl below what you currently have equipped it is still worth doing. Warforging and TitanForging happen a lot. At the time of writing this 9 of the 15 pieces my DK is wearing are upgrade.
  • Rumor is the caches that drop from emissary world quests have the best chance to drop Legendries. Be mindful of when your emissary quests are expiring( 3 days from when you receive) them to avoid missing to many caches.
  • All world quests expire at a set date a time. Look around your map for quests that are expiring soon and do them first.
  • Compared to world quests, Normal/Heroic dungeons are time inefficient. I recommend prioritizing world quests and Suramar questing over them. (Aside from dungeons required to advance your order hall campaign.)
  • Be sure to complete the Suramar quest line as you're gearing up in the low 800s (fresh 110-820ilvl). There are two mythic dungeons that are gated behind this quest line.
  • Mythic dungeons offer the best gear pre-raid. The adventure guide will prompt you to go to Mythics at ilvl 825. However, there are no hard ilvl restrictions on mythics. In theory you could go in them at 785 as a fresh 110. Given that you will likely be running with an all guild group I would recommend given them a shot somewhere around 820. Your goal at max level will be to get ready for them ASAP. If you are one of the people that will be taking time off work it is completely feasible for you to be ready for them before the first lock out. It took me about 15 hours(including AFK time) at max level get into the 820 ilvl on my DK,.

Last edited:

Marcus

Guild Master
10/10 thread.

Quick question, how does Artifact knowledge work? Is it something you need resources for? Do you research it via quest or is it like a garrison mission?

Phailure

Council Member
10/10 thread.

Quick question, how does Artifact knowledge work? Is it something you need resources for? Do you research it via quest or is it like a garrison mission?
Thier is a NPC in your order hall that you talk to. They have an interface that looks just like the ship builder dude in your garrison. I believe the artifact knowledge cost order hall resources, I don't recall how much. You click the create button and then a couple days later there will be a lootable pile of papers sitting at the feet of the NPC. You loot the paper and use the item and voila you have more artifact knowledge. That world quest that would have dropped a 200 AP item now drops a 220 AP (fictional numbers) for you. It's important to note that AP items already in your inventory don't give you more AP after learning a artifact knowledge.

Marcus

Guild Master
Hey Daryl, since we can tag a mob, should we avoid being in a group while questing? Ie: does grouping together gimp XP and would it be better to stick together and just not be in a group?

Phailure

Council Member
Hey Daryl, since we can tag a mob, should we avoid being in a group while questing? Ie: does grouping together gimp XP and would it be better to stick together and just not be in a group?
When joining a group their is no XP penalty that I am aware of. However, in past expansions the main benefit to grouping while questing was so that you could tag and kill mobs faster. With Legion when you enter a questing area you are basically in a party with everyone else doing that quest, just without party chat. Their is really no benefit to grouping other then enjoying the company of your friends and guidlies. For most people grouping with guildies will slow them down as you can only go as fast as the slowest person in your group.

Marcus

Guild Master
Looks like World Quests are key early on. I guess they REALLY don't want us stuck in the Order Hall/Dalaran zone for very long.

Phailure

Council Member
Looks like World Quests are key early on. I guess they REALLY don't want us stuck in the Order Hall/Dalaran zone for very long.
It's true. I'm actually a little concerned about world quests and the impact they will have on the rest of the game. The reward they give for the time invested and difficult seems way out of balance to me. Each world quest takes only about 5-10 minutes and as with all WOW questing are super easy to do (no risk of failure). The rewards they offer scale up with you current ilvl. When my DK was 805 he would see rewards of 810+ and 815+ ilvls. As I geared those rewards kept going up and I now see 835+ quests. I'm not sure what the incentive to do dungeons will be if you can just go do world quests and rapidly out gear them. Beta is beta though and we won't really know if these are game breaking until months into Legion.

Phailure

Council Member
Are Normal/Heroic dungeons not likely to be good content for a fresh 110? What about mythic dungeons?
For players like us, heroics and mythics will be important in the early going. Most of us will be putting in a very high amount of play time and will quickly exhaust the world quests available to us in those first couple weeks. The problem I forsee is more for casual players and alts. If everytime you login you can get some nice upgrades from the easy and no risk world quests why bother with heroics and normals?

For us though, we will quickly consume all the world quests available and surmar will be blocked on rep at times. Once you can't make progress on those you will want to grind heroics until you are geared enough for mythics( 820ish?).

Phailure

Council Member
New Tip!

Bring a flasks and some pots (including health pot) to your Artifact quest scenario. Some of them are a little bit difficult and they scale with your ilvl so you can't outgear them. I did a number of them in beta some were a breeze and others took me a few deaths to do. Better to be prepared!