Computer Help

Marcus

Guild Master
Hey guys,

I recorded the raid today to verify how my computer performs. Since I was tanking, and I will most likely melee DPS next expac, I noticed that often times my computer would drop from 54-59 FPS from the usual 60.

Here are my computer specs:

CPU - i5-4690k (4X 3.50hz/6MB L3 Cache)
RAM - 8 GB DDR3-1866
GPU - GTX 760 2GB
Motherboard - ASRock Z97 Extreme 3

Here is what I set my graphics to:

WoWScrnShot_053116_204331.jpg

Do you think overclocking my CPU or GPU will help?

Should I be getting that type of performance based on my settings and comp?

Is there anything you guys would recommend for me for Legion?

I'm thinking a GPU upgrade would be in order, would that solve my problems?

wigz

You may want to double your ram, or at least get another 4GB stick. I do not know if streaming uses your GPU or your RAM, but if its RAM then you should upgrade. If its GPU, you don't necessarily need a better GPU processor, just a GPU with a higher amount of memory.

Marcus

Guild Master
You may want to double your ram, or at least get another 4GB stick. I do not know if streaming uses your GPU or your RAM, but if its RAM then you should upgrade. If its GPU, you don't necessarily need a better GPU processor, just a GPU with a higher amount of memory.
I think you're right. My RAM is ok but with GPU and RAM upgrades, it should help out. Especially with the new Legion system requirements. Do you guys think my CPU will hold me over for Legion?

Yes, your CPU is better than the "recommended" one they list. And the GTX 1070 should be totally fine with your mobo, it's PCIe 3

...often times my computer would drop from 54-59 FPS from the usual 60...
UNACCEPTABLE FRAMERATE GAME IS UNPLAYABLE

If you're upgrading to a new GPU, it should easily run what you have right now (Like Smash said, the new gtx 1000 series is fucking amazing). If you're not looking to upgrade, try using a different type of antialiasing that isn't very resource-intensive and disable vertical sync.

Do you guys think my CPU will hold me over for Legion?
Most likely, yes.

Not sure if it's been said but recording also reduces performance by a pretty decent amount so framerate will be screwed slightly.
CPU is way more than fine. GPU is kinda meh but still fine for wow.

Like the others have said:

- Upgrade ram(either get another 8 gigs, or get faster ram...or both.)
- upgrade GPU if really necessary.
- I would run an SSD if you aren't already.(load times, caching n stuff)

On a side note tho. Wow is literally one of the worst scaling games I've personally encountered.

I can't tell the difference in performance between my 2 setups:

i7 2600k @ 4.5 Ghz ; GTX 780 ; 16 gigs of ram.
vs
i5 2500k @ 3.4 Ghz ; 2X GTX 560 ti(SLI) ; 8 gigs of ram.

Also ,Blizzard still fails to do AA right and performance suffers a lot more than it should if you try to go ham with AA.

Last edited:

Marcus

Guild Master
I've decided through the advice given here that I'm going to get a 1070 GPU when it comes out.

Thank you guys!

And I'm gunna upgrade RAM too since its so cheap and most streamers/recorders have high speed. 16 GB RAM.
Just get 8GB of ddr4. I don't think you'll need 16GB of ram. If you do end up needing it, go ahead and buy it.

I totally missed this reply. Assuming Marcus is using OBS, it is neither the GPU nor RAM, but the CPU that is primarily used when streaming. The GPU does video processing for the game (and any OBS overlays you may have), while OBS (utilizing CPU resources) grabs frames from the GPU framebuffer and encodes it into an h264 video, which is then streamed to the streaming website of your choice. source

Last edited: