Sticky [Call to Arms] Ranged DPS

Marcus

Guild Master
Official Call to Arms for Ranged DPS!
Ok guildies, as we have seen, we are in need of RDPS.
Therefore, starting immediately and ending 12/20, you have the opportunity to switch to an RDPS class of your choice. You will be doing the guild a great service. But, the guild will support you in turn and give you some great perks/bonuses for doing so.
Requirements:
  • Be a current Melee DPS main spec.
  • Have a level 110 Ranged class at any gear level by Tuesday 12/20. We can quickly gear you in Heroic EN. We may even try some Normal clears if the guild is up to it. Several members have expressed interest in helping clear you through mythic and mythic+ dungeons.
  • Dedication to raiding throughout the expansion on that class.
Perks/Bonuses:
  • Those who decide to switch will RETAIN their current EP number effective the date of their switch and NOT their GP.
  • You will have priority on ALL items 870 and below.
  • For Heroic EN farms, you will NOT be charged GP for items ilvl 870 and below.
  • 5000 EP bonus at the start of The Nighthold. Once Nighthold launches, you will no longer have preferential loot priority and you will be back on the same loot rules as everybody.
  • If you maintain 60-75% attendance throughout Legion on that RDPS class, you will have preferential draft status for the next expansion ie: you’ll be able to draft above those who stayed melee DPS.
Just a quick reminder guys, we were pretty lax about melee spots in Legion, we will be hard-capping them next expansion to avoid this situation again. So you may not be able to play melee DPS even though it’s a class you’ve always played. At this point, we need to start making adjustments to keep the comp viable so that we can raid.
We need as much communication about this as possible. Any and all feedback regarding this must be communicated in this thread. We want to know how everybody feels about this or any portion or concern we did not cover. This situation is urgent, guys... At this point, we need the guild’s help to continue to present a viable raid team.

Mormont

Fully support this initiative but I just have one question. When you say "So you may not be able to play melee DPS even though it’s a class you’ve always played," does that mean a grandfather clause for next expansion will not apply/exist to those who have raided most nights on their respective class if they are melee?

Marcus

Guild Master
Fully support this initiative but I just have one question. When you say "So you may not be able to play melee DPS even though it’s a class you’ve always played," does that mean a grandfather clause for next expansion will not apply/exist to those who have raided most nights on their respective class if they are melee?
That is correct. Once we figure out what we have next go around, well have to adjust how we draft roles. We did not do a good job this go around, we let too many people be melee. But those that choose to switch to help us out will not forgotten.

Mormont

That is correct. Once we figure out what we have next go around, well have to adjust how we draft roles. We did not do a good job this go around, we let too many people be melee. But those that choose to switch to help us out will not forgotten.
I think the way we approached the draft was fine, just we didn't enforce the maximum melee amount hard enough, and some of our raiders who went ranged have gone MIA or haven't been too active. I suppose my only concern is that if someone raids almost every-night with their class in Legion, it seems a bit unfair that they are not given the choice to carry that same class into the next expansion (the attendance number should be somewhere around 75% for this to apply though).

Marcus

Guild Master
I think the way we approached the draft was fine, just we didn't enforce the maximum melee amount hard enough, and some of our raiders who went ranged have gone MIA or haven't been too active. I suppose my only concern is that if someone raids almost every-night with their class in Legion, it seems a bit unfair that they are not given the choice to carry that same class into the next expansion (the attendance number should be somewhere around 75% for this to apply though).
Understandable. However, as we have seen, we do not have a viable comp long term. The alternatives are making tough decisions for the long term good of the guild or never having s viable comp, not killing g bosses, and not being able to raid. What alternatives do you recommend?

Btw, these are the types of things we need to talk about openly.

Mormont

Understandable. However, as we have seen, we do not have a viable comp long term. The alternatives are making tough decisions for the long term good of the guild or never having s viable comp, not killing g bosses, and not being able to raid. What alternatives do you recommend?

Btw, these are the types of things we need to talk about openly.
Any alternative I suggest is predicated on people remaining active, and that is NEVER a given when it comes to an online game. One idea as it pertains to the next expansion is to only apply a grandfather clause to those who have been attending raids for the majority of the tiers, as opposed to just the last raid tier solely. I would leave the percentage of attendance required over the raid tiers to you and the council to decide.

Also, do you believe our inability to kill Odyn thus far is due to raid comp? We cleared EN fairly easily, and that was with an imbalanced comp.

I agree, it's important that many guildies chime in on this topic, as it will have massive long-term implications down the line.

KRAZ

Yes, there's such a huge mobility requirement on Odyn, at least from my experience so far on a Death Knight, it feels like 75% chasing the boss/dodging spears, 25% DPS uptime, I lose incredible amounts of DPS just running around, and with so many melee clumped up right on him, things like Horn of Valor and the tornadoes in p3 are almost guaranteed to chunk a large number of people for a lot of hp.

Marcus

Guild Master
If every melee enacts their grandfather clause as you state, well be right back where we started. My goal is to reward those who choose to put the guild first. I'd never ask anybody to do anything I wouldn't do. Hence why I switched from hunter to tank mid-BRF when. Thank dropped. And then from warrior to Shaman (as opposed to hunter which I loved at the time) because we had 5 hunters. I did this all within a matter of 4 months because it was what was best for the guild and we were hemorrhaging people by the week.

What were asking g for now is for our guild members to step up. This thst show dedication and loyalty will get rewarded for doing so. Hence why the draft order for Legion was based on overall tenure first.

What I'm trying to say is this: were under circumstances that require a group effort and minor sacrifice. Our leadership has exhausted all means of handling g this ourselves. We need our guild is to step up. those that do sacrifice for the good of group should be rewarded.

Mormont

Yes, there's such a huge mobility requirement on Odyn, at least from my experience so far on a Death Knight, it feels like 75% chasing the boss/dodging spears, 25% DPS uptime, I lose incredible amounts of DPS just running around, and with so many melee clumped up right on him, things like Horn of Valor and the tornadoes in p3 are almost guaranteed to chunk a large number of people for a lot of hp.
Makes sense, though I will add DK's might have the least amount of mobility among melee.

Marcus

Guild Master
And yes. We came close to getting him last night, but it's pretty clear we need more uptime on Odyn to reduce the amount t of time we are in phase 2. Melee can't do that. In fact, the reason why we got so close last night was because we had 6 ranged as opposed to 3 we had last week.

Mormont

If every melee enacts their grandfather clause as you state, well be right back where we started. My goal is to reward those who choose to put the guild first. I'd never ask anybody to do anything I wouldn't do. Hence why I switched from hunter to tank mid-BRF when. Thank dropped. And then from warrior to Shaman (as opposed to hunter which I loved at the time) because we had 5 hunters. I did this all within a matter of 4 months because it was what was best for the guild and we were hemorrhaging people by the week.

What were asking g for now is for our guild members to step up. This thst show dedication and loyalty will get rewarded for doing so. Hence why the draft order for Legion was based on overall tenure first.

What I'm trying to say is this: were under circumstances that require a group effort and minor sacrifice. Our leadership has exhausted all means of handling g this ourselves. We need our guild is to step up. those that do sacrifice for the good of group should be rewarded.
I totally understand your point. It's not an easy situation, which is why I cannot say if any given answer is the absolute correct one.

KRAZ

Makes sense, though I will add DK's might have the least amount of mobility among melee.
true, but there are at least 3 of us at any given time, so that's 3 people taking significant dps loss due to mobility, plus when we need to spread or move a tornado away etc... we're all equally slow, and can put the entire melee group at risk, it's happened to me on Odyn, Helya, cough...Archimonde..cough...

Marcus

Guild Master
I totally understand your point. It's not an easy situation, which is why I cannot say if any given answer is the absolute correct one.
Hence why the last thing I truly worry about is what to do for next expac. I'm more concerned about having a viable comp.

After all leadership here has done for the guild, it's not out of line for us to simply ask for help.

Mormont

Hence why the last thing I truly worry about is what to do for next expac. I'm more concerned about having a viable comp.

After all leadership here has done for the guild, it's not out of line for us to simply ask for help.
Absolutely. So with Kraz going ranged, how many more members do you ideally need to go ranged?

Marcus

Guild Master
Absolutely. So with Kraz going ranged, how many more members do you ideally need to go ranged?
Depends on how many ranged we truly know see gone for the foreseeable future. We had 12 melee and 6 ranged st the start of last night.

We need to get that down to 50/50 at all times, bare the bare bones minimum. Preferably 55/45 in favor of ranged

Gatti

When I was recruited to this guild I said I would try my best to pick a ranged for Legion. I tried mage, warlock, druid and shaman, but in the end I picked windwalker because I realized that I had a blast playing ww, and it was clear to me that I played melee much more effectively (I am not dying to Odyn tonight, I swear).

My decision was made on the last second, though. I decided on the moment I was called to make my pick, and I did so based on two assumptions: we had more than 30 people wanting to raid at that moment and we had enough ranged. Yes, there were more melee than ranged at that point already, but we had enough ranged.

I say that not in a defensive or an agressive way, I just want to state a point: the draft was not the only problem. We got to this point because some people stopped raiding and most of them were ranged. That was something that was not under our control and that we could not predict.

With that said, I welcome any changes the guild thinks fit to prevent that problem from happening again. If the only solution is to ensure that on the next draft we have such an abundance of ranged that people can quit like it happened on Legion, so be it, I will adapt.

I would not like to change from my monk now, though. I am really loving it like I never loved any other class. I fully enjoy the 3 specs of it and you guys know how rare this is and how brief it can be, with blizzard messing with class on the wrong direction more often than not.

I will collaborate with the people who make the switch as much as I can, though. If you guys think it can work, I may even take a day out of my schedule just to make carry runs on mythics and m+ for anyone who needs it (the only day I cannot do this is on mondays), as I can dps and heal.

Anyway, if you see me online and you need help to get some piece of gear, feel free to whisper me and, unless I have some pressing matter on rl, I am going to help you. Even if that means running arcway 5 three times in a row.

Mormont

My feelings are quite similar to Gatti. I find melee to be far easier for myself than ranged, and I finally feel as if I am starting to gain a deep understanding for my class (not to mention I also love my class from a game-play and lore perspective as well).

I'd be more than glad to assist anyone in dungeon runs or whatever you might need; I would even tank for you if need be! :p